Dating back to 1882, the Gele Loods is one of Naarden Vesting’s original garrison buildings. Once used as an artillery depot, this one-of-a-kind building is the town’s only remaining wooden storage shed. After standing empty for some years, the building has undergone a facelift and now hosts the town’s Visitor Welcome Centre. Because the Gele Loods has survived almost completely intact, in adapting the building, all new structures are entirely demountable to ensure the building’s architectural and heritage character is conserved. The shed probably owes its name to the yellow colour of the paintwork used on the building in its first years of existence.